Friday, April 3, 2009

Freaking Cougars...?!?!

So, since my last post, I have done some detective work (although most came by luck) and found out that the "body" Theron and I saw on our bike ride was the skeleton of a young cougar! AHH! There was an article in the Post a few months ago about how they are now being spotted in eastern Missouri (I suppose Warren Co. would be ideal, then). Here's the scary part: they can run up to 30-50 mph (there goes the idea of pedaling faster than they can run), they stalk from above (like the bluffs that are always next to you when on the trail), and when they pounce (from up to 45 feet above the prey), they usually break the prey's neck because of the sheer force with which they land (great!). Well, I guess if I get attacked by a cougar, I probably won't know it. Oh, one last chilling detail: of those who have been attacked by cougars and lived, they NEVER saw it coming and never saw it when they were fighting it off - they leap onto your back and hold you from behind while biting off your air supply via the neck! Theron and I are thinking of purchasing some sort of security device to ward of any would-be cougar attacks...a shotgun maybe?

No comments: